My current research interests focus on the potential application of satellite remote sensing, GIS and machine learning technology in the domains of smart agriculture, forest phenology, biodiversity and climate change. Currently, I am working on Canadian Boreal and Indian Himalayan forest ecosystems. I am very curious to explore new technologies such as Google Earth Engine (GEE) and R programming for satellite remote sensing based analysis. Over the period of 4 years, I have developed several automatic routines on GEE and R platforms to address various research problems especially for challenging areas where field based collection methods are both expensive and time consuming.
- Feb 2021-Present: Academic Associate as a Remote Sensing Expert at Habitat , Montreal, Canada
- Oct 2020-Present: Postdoctoral Fellow at McGill University , Canada and & TÉLUQ
- Dec 2018-Oct 2020: Postdoctoral Fellow in Department of Fundamental Sciences, University of Quebec at Chicoutimi (UQAC), Canada
- Mar 2017-Nov 2018: Assistant Professor in GIS division (NIIT University, India )
- Jul 2012-Oct 2012: Assistant Professor in Civil Engineering (Marwadi University, India )
Foreign Research Visits
- Oct 2019- Nov 2019: Visiting Postdoc in Department of Agricultural Sciences at University of Naples Federico II, Italy
- Sep 2015- Nov 2015: Visiting Research Scholar in Department of Remote Sensing at University of Wuerzburg, Germany
- May 2016- Jun 2016: DAAD ILUS Summer School 2016 Participant in Institute of Silviculture/Chair of Silviculture at University of Freiburg, Germany
- June 2016- Jul 2016: Visiting Research Scholar in Department of Remote Sensing at University of Wuerzburg, Germany
Awards and Honors
- 2019: Young Researcher Best Paper Award at IEEE International Conference on Metrology for Agriculture and Forestry held at University of Naples Federico II, Italy
- 2019: Centre d'étude de la forêt (CEF) travel grant to participate in IEEE international Conference on Metrology for Agriculture and Forestry, October 24 to 26, 2019 in Naple, Italy
- 2018: EGU Roland Schlich travel support (Early Carrier Scientist’s Travel Support) to Present paper in EGU General Assembly 2018, Vienna, Austria
- 2016: German academic scholarship (DAAD) to participate in "Summer School: Integrated Land Use Systems (ILUS)" from May 23 to June 10, 2016 at University of Freiburg Germany
- Jan 2013- May 2017: PhD in Geomatics Engineering (IIT Roorkee, India )
- July 2010- June 2012: M.Tech in Geomatics Engineering (IIT Roorkee, India )
- Jul 2005 – Jun 2009: Bachelors of Engineering (B.E.) from SVITS Indore, India
- Nov 2015 – Dec 2016: Object based approaches for remote sensing assisted assessment of forest biodiversity focusing on invasive plant species
Role: Co-investigator, Funding Agency: DLR/RESA (German Aerospace Agency)
- Feb 2016 – Feb 2017: Object based approaches for remote sensing assisted assessment of forest biodiversity focusing on plant species diversity and forest structural parameters
Role: Co-investigator, Funding Agency: ESA (European Space Agency)
Published Peer Reviewed Articles
- Khare, S. , Deslauriers, A., Morin, H., Latifi, H., and Rossi, S., 2022. Comparing Time-Lapse PhenoCams with Satellite Observations across the Boreal Forest of Quebec, Canada. Remote Sensing, 14(1), 100. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3390/rs14010100
- Khare, Suyash, Latifi, H., & Khare, Siddhartha ,, 2021. Vegetation Growth Analysis of UNESCO World Heritage Hyrcanian Forests Using Multi-Sensor Optical Remote Sensing Data. Remote Sensing, 13, no. 19: 3965.DOI: https://doi.org/10.3390/rs13193965
- Buttò, V., Khare, S. , Drolet, G., Sylvain, J-D., Gennaretti, F., Deslauriers, A., Morin, H., and Rossi, S., 2021. Temporal separation in carbon allocation between shoot growth and latewood formation in boreal trees assessed by MODIS-NDVI time series and field observations. Global Ecology and Biogeography. DOI: 10.1111/geb.13340
- Jain, P., Khare, S. , Sylvain, J-D., Patricia, R., Rossi, S. 2021. Predicting the location of maple stands under warming scenarios in two regions at the northern range in Quebec, Canada. Forest Sciences. DOI: 10.1093/forsci/fxab012
- Khare, S. , Latifi, H., & Rossi, S., 2021. A 15-year spatio-temporal analysis of plant beta diversity using Landsat time series derived Rao's Q index. Ecological Indicators, 121, p.107105 DOI: 10.1016/j.ecolind.2020.107105
- Silva, J. R. D., Rossi, S., Khare, S. , Longui, E.L., and Marcati, C.R. 2020. Disentangling the effects of genotype and 2 environment on growth and wood features of Balfourodendron riedelianum trees by common 4 garden experiments in Brazil. Forest, , 11(9), pp.905.DOI: 10.3390/f11090905
- Guo,X., Khare, S. , Silvestro, R., Huang, J., Sylvain, J-D., Delagrange, S., Rossi, S., 2020. Minimum spring temperatures at the provenance origin drive leaf phenology in sugar maple populations, tpaa096. Tree physiology. DOI: 10.1093/treephys/tpaa096
- Zhang, S., Buttò, V., Khare, S. , Deslauriers, A., Morin, H., Huang, J.-G., Ren, H., Rossi, S., 2020. Calibrating phenocam data with phenological observations in black spruce. Canadian Journal of Remote Sensing.DOI: 10.1080/07038992.2020.1761251
- Khare, S. , Drolet, G., Sylvain, J-D., Paré, M.C., & Rossi, S., 2019. Assessment of Spatio-Temporal Patterns of Black Spruce Bud Phenology across Quebec Based on MODIS-NDVI Time Series and Field Observations. Remote Sensing, 11, pp.2745.DOI: https://doi.org/10.3390/rs11232745
- Khare, S. , Latifi, H., & Rossi, S., 2019. Forest beta-diversity analysis by remote sensing: How scale and sensors affect the Rao’s Q index. Ecological Indicators, 106, pp.105520.DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolind.2019.105520
- Khare, S. , Latifi, H., Rossi, S. and Ghosh, S.K., 2019. Fractional Cover Mapping of Invasive Plant Species by Combining Very High-Resolution Stereo and Multi-Sensor Multispectral Imageries. Forests, 10(7), pp.540.DOI: https://doi.org/10.3390/f10070540
- Khare, S. , Latifi, H. and Ghosh, S.K., 2018. Multi-scale assessment of invasive plant species diversity using Pléiades 1A, RapidEye and Landsat-8 data. Geocarto international, 33(7), pp.681-698.DOI: 10.1080/10106049.2017.1289562
- Khare, S. , Ghosh, S.K., Latifi, H., Vijay, S. and Dahms, T., 2017. Seasonal-based analysis of vegetation response to environmental variables in the mountainous forests of Western Himalaya using Landsat 8 data. International Journal of Remote Sensing, 38(15), pp.4418-4442.DOI: 10.1080/01431161.2017.1320450
- Khare, S. and Ghosh, S.K., 2016. “Satellite Remote Sensing Technologies for Biodiversity Monitoring and Its Conservation”, International Journal of Advanced Earth Science and Engineering, 5(1), pp.375-389.DOI: 10.23953/cloud.ijaese.213
Under review Peer Reviewed Articles
- Marty, C., Khare, S., Rossi, S., Lafond, J., Boivin, M., and Paré, M., 2022. Detection of management practices and cropping phases in wild lowbush blueberry (Vaccinium angustifolium Ait.) fields using high spatial resolution multispectral UAV data. Under review in Canadian Journal of Remote Sensing (Second revision submitted).
Peer Reviewed International Conference
- Khare, S. , and Rossi, S., 2019. Phenology analysis of moist deciduous forest using time series Landsat-8 remote sensing data. IEEE International Workshop on Metrology for Agriculture and Forestry (MetroAgriFor), 24-26 Oct. 2019.
- Rossi, S., Zhang, S., Deslauriers, A., Butto, V., Morin, H., Huang, J.-G., Ren, H., and Khare, S. , 2019. Linking phenocam derived phenology with field observations in the boreal forest. IEEE International Workshop on Metrology for Agriculture and Forestry (MetroAgriFor), 24-26 Oct. 2019.
- Fakhri, S. A., Sayadi, S., Latifi, H., Khare, S. , 2019. An optimized Enhanced Vegetation Index for Sparse Tree Cover Mapping across a Mountainous Region. IEEE International Workshop on Metrology for Agriculture and Forestry (MetroAgriFor), 24-26 Oct. 2019.
- Khare, S. , Latifi, H. and Ghosh, S.K., 2018. Full satellite remote sensing based approach to assess the plant and tree species diversity using high and very spatial resolution multi-spectral data. EGU General Assembly 2018(Vienna | Austria | 8–13 April 2018).
- Khare, S. , Latifi, H. and Ghosh, S. K., 2016. “Phenology Analysis of Forest Vegetation to Environmental Variables during-and Post-Monsoon Seasons in Western Himalayan Region of India”. ISPRS-International Archives of the Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing and Spatial Information Sciences, pp.15-19.
Workshops and Lectures
- 2019: Delivered public lecture at Department of Agricultural Science of University of Naples Federico II, Italy
- 2018: Invited as a Guest Speaker for “GIS and remote sensing techniques” at Technical University Denmark (DTU Space) on April 17, 2018
- 2016: Invited as a Resource Person for NRDMS - Department of Science and Technology (DST), Government of India sponsored 21-day (Dec 1st to Dec 21st 2016) Winter School on Geospatial Technologies at Chitkara University Solan, Himachal Pradesh, India
- 2016: Invited as a Resource Person for Advances in Image Processing and Remote Sensing (AIPRS-17) under TEQIP-II sponsored GIS and R course, organized by Deenbadhu Chhotu Ram University of Science and Technology Sonepat Haryana for duration March 6 -10, 2017