Université du Québec en Abitibi-Témiscamingue
Amos Campus, 341 rue Principale N
Understanding complex interactions in forest ecosystems: Impact of climate on the defoliation of black spruce by the spruce budworm
Director: Miguel Montoro Girona
Co-director: Philippe Marchand
- M. Sc. in Ecology, University of Quebec in Abitibi Temiscamingue (UQAT) (ongoing)
- B. Sc. in Forestry, Institute of Forestry (IOF), Tribhuvan University (TU), Nepal (2019)
CURRENT RESEARCH THEME
In Quebec forestry, the disturbances from spruce budworm is prioritized topics of research because ofiss economic and ecological consequences in forest and management sectors. Continuous research over centuries by different organization and agencies has led to understand the epidemic cycle, effects on forestry regime, and their harmony over a large area. However, understanding of the role and impacts of insect outbreaks during global change scenario at a larger scale remains incomplete. Even though there are uthe biquity of changethes in climate and insect disturbance regime, scarcely available are the studies that have considered the effect of multifaceted interaction with climate within the boreal forest ecosystem. Since insects are critical to any forest ecosystem and ecology, studies based on the link between climate change and insect outbreaks/disturbances are important. One question related to this topic, and yet to be answered is, how have the interacting effects of climate and budworm defoliation affected the growth of tree species like black spruce (Picea mariana) over extended periods, specifically during outbreak? Therefore, we aim to develop a quantitative growth model for black spruce regulated by the interaction between climate and spruce budworm defoliation during last outbreak of 20th century.
Keywords: boreal forest, climate change, dendrochronology, disturbances, modeling
- Forest and Ecology
- Geospatial Technology (GIS & Remote Sensing)
- Environment, Natural Resources, Wildlife and Conservation
- 2019 – Communication officer: “Preparation of local volume table for Sudurpaschim Province, Nepal”
- 2019 - Internship at the Forest Research and Training Center (FRTC), Nepal: “Biomass estimation in a mixed forest of Terai region, Nepal”
- 2018- Internship at the Department of Forest Research and Survey (DFRS), Nepal: “Re-measurement of permanent sample plots”
- Subedi, A., & Acharya, T. D. (2021, September). Small Water Bodies Detection and Evaluation using Normalized Difference Water Index (NDWI) from Landsat Image in Western Terai, Nepal. In the Bulletin of Nepal Hydrogeological Association (Vol.6, p. 89-95).
- Subedi, A., Poudel, P., & Acharya, T. D. Temporal shift of Bagmati River over 25 years using Landsat. In International Archives of Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing and Spatial Information Sciences (Vol. 42, 2019, p. 137-141)
- Acharya, T. D., Kim, K. M., Lee, K. Y., Subedi, A., Huang, H., & Lee, D. H. (2019, November). Decision-tree-based Mapping of Erosion-prone Areas in Hilly Regions of Kangwon Province, North Korea. In Sensors and Materials (Vol. 31, No. 11, 2019, p. 3899-3915).
- Sharma, B., Subedi, A., Subedi, B., Panthee, S., & Acharya, P. (2019, July). First record of the Small Bamboo Bat Tylonycteris fulvida (Peters, 1872) (Mammalia: Chiroptera: Vespertilionidae) from Nepal. In Journal of Threatened Taxa (Vol. 11, No. 9, p. 14216).
- Acharya, T. D., Subedi, A., & Lee, D. H. (2019, June). Evaluation of Machine Learning Algorithms for Surface Water Extraction in a Landsat 8 Scene of Nepal. In Multidisciplinary Digital Publishing Institute Sensors (Vol. 19, No. 12, p. 2769).
- Sharma, B., Subedi, A., Gyawali, K., Ghimire, P., Bist, B.S., & Baniya, S. (2018, September). Can Pteropus giganteus (Brünnich, 1782) co-exist in a human dominated landscape? A case study in Pokhara valley, western Nepal. In Journal of Bat Research and Conservation (Vol. 11, No. 1).
- Acharya, T. D., Subedi, A., & Lee, D. H. (2018, August). Evaluation of Water Indices for Surface Water Extraction in a Landsat 8 Scene of Nepal. In Multidisciplinary Digital Publishing Institute Sensors (Vol. 8, No. 8, p. 2580).
- Panthee, S., Subedi, B., Ghimire, P., & Subedi, A. (2018, March). Notes on the Spotted Royal butterfly Tajuria maculata (Hewitson, 1865) (Lycaenidae) in Pokhara, Nepal. In BIONOTES (Vol. 20, No.1, p.30).
- Subedi, A., Girona, M. M., Marchand, P., Morin, H., & Bergeron, Y. Comment l'interaction entre le climat et la tordeuse des bourgeons de l'épinette affecte-elle la croissance des arbres? une nouvelle approche. Colloque CAFD 2021. December 2021.
- Subedi, A., Girona, M. M., Marchand, P., Morin, H., & Bergeron, Y. Understanding how tree-growth is driven by climate during spruce budworm outbreaks. Annual Meeting of the International Research Network on Cold Forests. November 2021.
- Subedi, A., Girona, M. M., Marchand, P., Morin, H., & Bergeron, Y. The mystery of tree-rings regarding climate and insect outbreak interactions - A methodological challenge. 14th Annual CEF Conference. May 2021.
- Subedi, A., Girona, M. M., Marchand, P., Morin, H., & Fortin, M. J. Understanding complex interactions in forest ecosystems: climate and insect outbreaks. Colloque CAFD 2020. December 2020.
- Subedi, A., Girona, M. M., Marchand, P., Morin, H., & Fortin, M. J. Assessing the historical impact of climate on the defoliation of boreal stands by the spruce budworm. Annual Meeting of the International Research Network on Cold Forests. November 2020.
- Subedi, A., Neupane, B. Subedi, T. Acharya, T.D., Sharma, B. & Dhungana, P. Study of the habitat characteristics used by Asian Barred Owlet in Raghuganga, Myagdi. Nepal Owl Festival, February 2020. Syanga, Nepal.
- Subedi, A., Poudel, P., & Acharya, T. D. Temporal shift of Bagmati River over 25 years using Landsat. International workshop on capacity building and education outreach in advance geospatial technology and land management. December 2019. Dhulikhel, Nepal.
- Subedi, A. Status, distribution and conservation initiatives of owls in Raghuganga. Nepal Owl Festival. February 2019. Jalapa, Khotang, Nepal.
ACHIEVEMENTS AND AWARDS
- Graduate scholarships for internships at the College Center for Technology Transfer (CCTT) by Fonds de recherche du Québec - Nature et technologies (FRQNT)
- Academic Excellence Award – Amos Harricana (MRC-Abitibi)
- People’s choice award from 22nd AFD – UQAT-UQAM Chair in Sustainable Forest Management Symposium
- Owl Research Grant by Friends of Nature, Nepal
- IDEA WILD Research Grant
- Stephen R. Tully Memorial Grant
- Forestry Scholarship, TU
- Mahatma Gandhi Scholarship
- Glacier Merit Scholarship
- Galeshwor Merit Scholarship
- Groupe de recherche en écologie de la MRC Abitibi (GREMA)
- Institut de Recherche sur les Forêts (IRF)
- Member of CAFD (Chaire UQAT-UQAM en aménagement forestier durable)
- Member of CEF (Centre d'étude de la forêt)
- Member of Green Committee of Amos campus
- Executive member of Forest for Transformation (FFT), Nepal
- Executive Member (Communication coordinator) of Nepalese Youth for Climate Action (NYCA), Pokhara branch, Nepal
- General member of Bird Conservation Nepal (BCN) and Bat Friend’s Pokhara Branch, Nepal
- Member of Green Lumbini Campaign, Nepal
- Nepali [Native or bilingual proficiency]
- English [Professional working proficiency]
- Hindi [Professional working proficiency]
- French [Elementary proficiency]