- January, 2014 to today, Professor & 100 Talent Principle Investigator, South China Botanical Garden of the Chinese Academy of Sciences,
- July 2013 to January, 2014, Postdoc Research Fellow, Department of Basic Sciences, University of Quebec at Chicoutimi, Canada
- Nov. 2012 to July, 2013, Postdoc Research Associate, Department of Forestry and Natural Resources, College of Agriculture, Purdue University, USA
- Jan 2010 to Oct. 2012, Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Department of Renewable Resources, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
- Sep, 2004- Oct. 2009, Ph.D in Environmental Sciences at the Université du Québec en Abitibi-Témiscamingue, Québec, Canada (Supervisor: Dr. Yves Bergeron)
- Sep. 2000 –Nov. 2003, Master in Physical Geography at the Graduate School of the Chinese Academy of Sciences (Cold and Arid Regions Environmental and Engineering Research Institute), China
- Sep. 1995 – July 1999, Bachelor in Hydrological and Engineering Geology at Lanzhou University, Lanzhou, China
RESEARCH INTERESTS (include but are not limited to)
1. Using dendrochronology and forest ecology methods to understand the effects of climate change/warming on growth of trees and forests in the subtropical, temperate and boreal forest ecosystems. 2. Using the recently developed micro-sampling approach to monitor spring tree phenology development (budburst, flowering and shoots/branches extension) and xylem formation dynamics and processes within the growing seasons to further clarify the coordination mechanism among organs of tree and better understand the relations between intra-annual wood formation and meteorological factors in the temperate and boreal forest ecosystems. 3. Using statistical modeling approaches to build growth-climate model and/or growth-competition model to predict future growth of trees and forests, and to assess the potential changes in forest growth, composition, and structure with the context of climate warming. 4. Using dendroclimatology to understand and reconstruct the past climate change and variability and global climate events.
AWARDS & FUNDINGS
- 2013 Canada MITACS Industrical Postdoctoral Fellowship,Université du Québec a Chicoutimi, Quebec, Canada http://www.mitacs.ca/r/32882
- 2012 Canada NSERC Pre-approved Industrial Research & Development Fellowship,University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada http://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/Students-Etudiants/PD-NP/IRDF-BPRDI/IRDFPreAppDetail-BPRDIPreAppDetail_eng.asp?ID=9
- Jan 2010 Excellent Ph.D Thesis Award from the Université du Québec en Abitibi-Témiscamingue, Québec, Canada http://www.uqat.ca/universite/medias/communiques/index.asp?RefCom=531
- Jul 2008 Chinese Government Awarded 2007 Outstanding Self-financed Student Overseas, Chinese Embassy in Ottawa, Canada (China National Level Award) http://www.chinaembassycanada.org/chn/xw/t480110.htm
- June, 2008 Funding support for the 1st AmericaDendro Conference on June 22-27 2008 in Vancouver from the Centre d’Étude de la Forêt, Canada
- Feb, 2008 Doctorate Scholarship from the Chaire industrielle CRSNG-UQAT-UQAM en aménagement forestier durable, Québec, Canada
- August, 2007 Funding support for the Internship at the Unviersity of Winnipeg from the Centre d’Étude de la Forêt), Qc., Canada
- June, 2007 Doctorate Scholarship from the Chaire industrielle CRSNG-UQAT-UQAM en aménagement forestier durable, Québec, Canada
- May, 2007 Funding support for the XI International Conference in Fairbanks,Alaska from the Centre d’Étude de la Forêt, Qc Canada
- March, 2007 Funding support for the Internship at the Unviersity of Winnipeg from the Sustainable Forest Management networks at the University of Albert,Canada
- May, 2006 Doctorate Scholarship from the Chaire industrielle CRSNG-UQAT-UQAM en aménagement forestier durable, Québec, Canada
- May-Aug, 2006 Scholarship from the Unviersité du Québec en AT, Québec, Canada
- May-Aug, 2005 Scholarship from the Unviersité du Québec en AT, Québec, Canada
- Sep.2004-2009 5 years Fellowships from the Chaire en aménagement forestier durable, Québec, Canada
- 2002-2003 Awarded the second prize for the '2002-2003 Annual Graduate Scholarship of CAREERI, CAS, Lanzhou, China
- Sep. 2000- June. 2004 4 years Fellowships from the CAREERI, CAS, China
PUBLICATIONS corresponding author indicated as *
- 21)Rossi, S., Anfodillo T., Čufar K., Cuny H., Deslauriers A., Fonti P., Frank D., Gričar J., Gruber A., Huang J.G.*, Jyske T., Kašpar J., King G., Krause C., Liang E., Makinen H., Morin H., Nöjd P., Oberhuber W., Prislan P., Rathgeber, C.B.K., Saracino A., Swidrak I., and Treml V. (2016) Worldwide pattern of wood formation in the northern Hemisphere. Global Change Biology, doi:10.1111/gcb.13317 Attach:GCB2016R.pdf
- 20)Deslauriers, A., Huang JG*, Beaulieau, M., Balducci, L., Rossi S. (2016) The contribution of carbon and water in modulating wood formation in black spruce saplings. Plant Physiology, 170: 2072-2084. IF=6.841 Attach:PlantPhy2016.pdf
- 19)Jiang, X.Y., Huang, J.G.*, Stadt, K., Comeau, P., and Chen, H.Y.H. (2016) Spatial climate-dependent growth response of western Canadian boreal mixedwood forest. Global and Planetary Change, 139: 141-150. IF=2.766 Attach:GPC2016.pdf
- 18)Cuny, H.E., Rathgeber, C.B.K., Frank D., Fonti P., Mäkinen H., Prislan P., Rossi S., del Castillo E., Campelo F., Vavrčík H., Camarero J., Bryukhanova M.V., Jyske T., Gričar J., Gryc J., Luis M., Vieira J., Čufar K., Kirdyanov A.V., Oberhuber W., Treml V., Huang J.G., Li X., Swidrak I., Deslauriers A., Liang E., Nöjd P., Gruber A., Nabais C., Morin H., Krause C., King G., and Fournier M. (2015) Wood biomass production lags stem-girth increase by over one month in coniferous forests. Nature Plants 15160 doi:10.1038/NPLANTS.2015.160 Attach:NaturePlants2015.pdf
- 17) Shi, P.J., Huang, J.G.*, Cang, H., Grissino-Mayer, H., Tardif, J., Zhai, L.H., Wang, F.S., and Li, B.L. (2015) Capturing spiral radial growth of conifers using the superellipse to model tree-ring geometric shape. Frontiers in Plant Science, 6:856. Doi:10.3389/fpls.2015.00856 (co-first author) IF=3.948 Attach:Frontiers2015.pdf
- 16)Zhang W, Sheng WJ, Zhu SD, Wan SQ, Luo YQ, Yan JH, Wang KY, Liu L, Dai H., Li P., Dai K., Zhang WX., Liu ZF., Wang FM., Kuang YW., Li Z., Lin Y., Rao XQ., Li J., Zou B., Cai X., Mo JM., Zhao P., Ye Q., Huang JG, Fu SL (2015). CAN canopy addition of nitrogen better illustrate the effects of atmospheric nitrogen deposition on forest ecosystem? Scientific Reports, 5:11245 doi:10.1038/srep11245. IF=5.578
- 15) Rossi S., Huang JG., and Morin H. 2015. Assessing responses of tree growth to climate changes at inter- and intra-annual temporal scale. Routledge Handbook of Forest Ecology, Edit by Peh K., Corlett R.T., Bergeron Y. September 2015, page 499-517, Routledge Taylor & Francis Group, London, UK.
- 14) Huang J.G.*, Deslauriers A., and Rossi S.(2014) Xylem formation can be modeled statistically as a function of primary growth and cambium activity. New Phytologist 203:831-841 IF=6.736 Attach:Huang2014.pdf
- 13) Gea-Izquierdo G.*, Bergeron Y., Huang J.G., Lapointe-Garant M.P., Grace J., and Berninger F.(2014) The relationship between productivity and tree-ring growth in boreal coniferous forests. Boreal Environment Research 19:363-378 IF=1.748
- 12) Huang, J.G.*, Stadt, K., Dawson, A., and Comeau, P. (2013) Modelling growth-competition relationships in trembling aspen and white spruce mixed boreal forests of western Canada. PLOS ONE 8(10): e77607. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0077607
- 11) Huang, J.G.*, Bergeron, Y., Berninger, F., Zhai, L.H., Tardif, J., and Denneler, B. (2013) Impact of future climate on radial growth of four major boreal tree species in the eastern Canadian boreal forest. PLOS ONE, doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0056758 IF2011=4.092
- 10) Zhai, L.H., Bergeron, Y., Huang, J.G.*, and Berninger F. (2012) Variation in intra-annual wood formation, and foliage and shoot development of three major Canadian boreal tree species. American Journal of Botany, 99(5):827-837. (*corresponding author) IF2011=2.664 Attach:Zhai2012.pdf
- 9) Huang J.G., Bergeron, Y., Zhai L.H.*, and Denneler B.(2011) Variation in intra-annual radial growth (xylem formation) of Picea mariana (Pinaceae) along a latitudinal gradient in western Quebec, Canada. American Journal of Botany, 98(5):792-800. doi:10.3732/ajb.1000074 This article is highlighted by AJB (http://www.amjbot.org/) and featured in ScienceDaily http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/05/110516102251.htm and Eurekalert http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2011-05/ajob-wgc051611.php IF2011=2.664 Attach:Huang2011.pdf
- 8) Lapointe-Garant, M.P.*, Huang, J.G., Gea Izquierdo, G., Raulier, F., Bernier, P., and Berninger, F. (2010). Use of tree rings to study the effect of climate change on trembling aspen in Quebec. Global Change Biology, 16:2039-2051 doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2486.2009.02048.x IF2011=6.862 Attach:GCB2010A.pdf Δ
- 7) Huang, J.G.*, Tardif, J., Bergeron, Y., Denneler, B., Berninger, F, and Girardin M.P. (2010). Radial growth response of four dominant boreal tree species to climate along a latitudinal gradient in the eastern Canadian boreal forest. Global Change Biology, 16: 711-731. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2486.2009.01990.x.Attach:GCB2010.pdf. IF2011=6.862
- 6) Huang, J.G.*, Tardif, J., Denneler, B., Bergeron, Y. and Berninger, F (2008). Tree-ring evidence extends the historic northern range limit of severe defoliation by insects in the aspen stands of western Quebec, Canada. Canadian Journal of Forest Research, 38:2535-2544. Attach:CJFR2008.PDF IF2011= 1.685
- 5) Li, J.B.*, Cook, E.R., D’Arrigo, R., Chen, F., Gou, X.H., Peng, J.F., and Huang, J.G. (2008) Common tree growth anomalies over the northeastern Tibetan Plateau during the last six centuries: Implications for regional moisture change. Global Change Biology, 14, 2096-2107. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2486.2008.01603.x Attach:GCB2008.pdf IF2011=6.862
- 4) Huang, J.G.*, Bergeron, Y., Denneler, B., Berninger, F. and Tardif J. (2007) Response of forest trees to increased atmospheric CO2. Critical Reviews in Plant Sciences, 26(5): 265-283. DOI:10.1080/07352680701626978 Attach:CRPS2007.pdf Top 5 highly-cited articles from 2007-2009, and free access http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/cited/BPTS.pdf IF2011= 4.659
- 3) Huang, J.G.*, Lin, J.D. and Miao, S.L. (2007) Tibet: holy place, not ‘‘Western Storehouse’’! Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment, 5(3), 122-123. IF2011= 9.113
- 2) Huang, J.G. and Zhang, Q.B.* (2007) Tree rings and climate for the last 680 years in Wulan area of northeastern Qinghai-Tibetan Plateau. Climatic Change 80, 369-377, DOI 10.1007/s10584-006-9135-1. Attach:ClimChange.pdf IF2011= 3.385
- 1) Zhang, Q.B.*, G.D., Cheng, T.D., Yao, X.C., Kang and Huang, J.G. (2003) A 2326-year tree-ring record of climate variability on the northeastern Qinghai-Tibetan Plateau. Geophysical Research Letters,Vol.30, No.14, 1739, doi:10.1029/2003GL017425. IF2011= 3.792
Thesis and Report
- 3) Huang, J.G. (2009) Effects of climate and of potential future climate on radial growth of four dominant boreal tree species (Trembling aspen, paper birch, black spruce, and jack pine) in the mixed and coniferous boreal forest of western Quebec, Canada. Ph.D. Thesis, Université du Québec en Abitibi-Témiscamingue, Québec, Canada. 287 pp. http://bibliotheque.uqat.ca/documents/theses/jianguohuang.pdf
- 2) Huang, J.G. (2006). Is CO2 enrichment responsible for better growth of trees? Synthèse remis comme exigence partielle du programme de doctorat en science de l'environnement. 50 p.
- 1) Huang, J.G. (2003). Dendroclimatological studies of Sabina przewalskii Kom. in Wulan and Tongren areas of northeastern Qinghai-Tibetan Plateau (in Chinese with English abstract). M.S. thesis, Cold and Arid Regions Environmental and Engineering Research Institute (CAREERI), Chinese Academy of Sciences, Lanzhou, P.R. China.80pp.
Guest lecture: FOR322 Tree structure and growth on October 22 and 27, 2010, and Dec. 2 2011 at the University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
Reviewer for Funds and Journals
Reviewer for the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO, the Dutch Research Council) in 2009; National Natural Science Foundation of China (since 2013). Reviewer for journals: Forest Ecology and Management; Botany (formerly Canadian Journal of Botany); Journal of Plant Ecology; Canadian Journal of Forest Research; Nordic Journal of Botany; Trees-Structure and Function; Global Change Biology; Journal of Biogeography;Journal of Ecology;New Phytologist ;Agriculture and Forest Meteorology;Environmental Reviews; Ecosphere;Dendrochronologia; etc.
Interviewed by Radio-Canada: http://www.radio-canada.ca/regions/abitibi/2010/01/19/003-foret-boreale-rechauffement.shtml Professional Association 2010-2016 Member of the Executive Committee of SINO-ECO, China Liaison Officer for SINO-Ecologists Association Overseas (SINO-ECO) (http://www.sino-eco.org/)
People in the Laboratory of Forest Ecology & Modeling
Assistant professors AP & Postdocs
Dr. Xingyu Jiang obtained PhD from SUN YAT-SEN UNIVERSITY in June 2014 and then joined my lab since July 2014 as an AP. His research interests focus on soil carbon and nitrogen cycles and global change.
Dr. Qianqian Ma obtained PhD in Ecological Modeling from the University of Georgia in June 2014 and joined my lab since September 2014 as an AP. Her research interests focus on ecological statistical modeling and ecological network analysis.
Dr. Huoxing Zhu obtained PhD in Biodiversity from the CAS, and to join my lab in August 2015 as an AP.
Dr. Syed Ashraful Alam obtained PhD from University of Helsinki in 2013 and joined my lab as a Postdoc from April 2015-March 2017.
Dr. Guohua Liang (visiting postdoc, 2014.11-2015.3).
Technician & Graduate students
Ms. Zhiyuan He joined my lab since November 2014 as a technician.
Ms. Shaokang Zhang (PhD candidate, 2014. 9-); Ms. Biyun Yu (PhD candidate, 2015.9-); Ms. Anam Usnain (PhD candidate from Pakistan, 2015.9-); Mr. Shaowei Jiang (PhD candidate, 2016.9-);
Ms. Xiali Guo (M.S. candidate, 2014.9-); Mr. Dawei Luo (M.S. candidate, 2014.9-); Mr. Jinye Li (M.S. candidate, 2015.9-); Mr. Peng zhou (M.S. candidate, 2016.9-);
Mr. Samuli Koivistoinen(Interns from University of Helsinki, 2015.5-2015.8)
Dr. Yves Bergeron, Professor, UQAT & UQAM, Canada Dr. Frank Berninger, Professor, University of Helsinki, Finland Dr. Han Chen, Professor, Lakehead University, Canada Dr. Annie Deslauriers, Professor, UQAC, Canada Dr. Sergio Rossi, Professor, Universite du Quebec a CHICOUTIMI, Canada