- M. Sc. Forestry, Shahjalal University of Science and Technology, Bangladesh. (2019)
- B. Sc. Forestry, Shahjalal University of Science and Technology, Bangladesh. (2017)
I have a diverse research experience in ecology, climate change and environment. My current study primarily focuses on the biodiversity of esker lakes of Abitibi, Canada.
Eskers are complex geological formation that provide crucial resources in northern countries such as drinking water, sand/gravel, outdoor recreational sites, and productive forests. However, there is a huge knowledge gap about the biodiversity and functioning of eskers. Esker lakes are different from other boreal lakes as they are mainly fed by groundwaters and precipitations and are not connected to other aquatic ecosystems. Thus, esker lakes often have reduced or absent fish communities, which promotes a unique diversity and abundance of aquatic invertebrates at the base of the food web available for other consumers such as waterbirds. The objective of my study is to characterize the waterbird communities associated to esker lakes and identify the resources and ecological factors that determine their presence, abundance, richness, and diversity.
1. Hasan, A., Montoro Girona, M., Grosbois, G., Saha, N., Halim, M.A. (2020) Land Sparing Can Maintain Bird Diversity in Northeastern Bangladesh. Sustainability, 6(12):6472.
1. Akib Hasan, Miguel Montoro Girona, Louis Imbeau, Jennifer Lento, Anouschka R Hof, Guillaume Grosbois, 2021. The unique biodiversity of esker lakes / La biodiversité unique des lacs d'esker. Symposium annuel du GRIL 2022, Quebec, Canada.
2. Akib Hasan, Miguel Montoro Girona, Louis Imbeau, Jennifer Lento, Anouschka R Hof, Guillaume Grosbois, 2021. Go to the lakes to know the forest biodiversity: The esker project. Colloque CAFD 2021, Quebec, Canada.
3. Akib Hasan, Guillaume Grosbois, Louis Imbeau, Miguel Montoro Girona, 2020. The ice age: the responsible of highest level of waterbird and aquatic biodiversity today? Colloque CAFD 2020, Quebec, Canada.
4. Akib Hasan, Guillaume Grosbois, Louis Imbeau, Miguel Montoro Girona, 2020. Are esker lakes biodiversity hotspots in the boreal landscape? 14e Colloque du CEF, Quebec, Canada.
5. Akib Hasan, Md Abdul Halim, 2019. Land sparing enhances bird diversity and abundance in eastern Bangladesh. International Festival of Owls, Nepal.
1. Jean-Jacques et Fernand Cossette Excellence scholarship from Fondation de l'UQAT ($3000 CAD).
2. Perseverance scholarship from Fondation de l'UQAT ($1000 CAD).
3. Best Photography Jury Award in Colloque CAFD 2020.
4. National Science and Technology Fellowship of 54,000 BDT, 2020.
5. Shahjalal University of Science and Technology merit awards for undergraduate students. (3 Awards based on academic result on the first three semesters between 2014-2017) (6,000 BDT)
6. Scholarship from Bangladesh Education Ministry based on Undergraduate Results, 2019, (7,000 BDT).