My research interest is to analyse forest diversity using multi-source, multi-temporal remote sensing data. My main research focuses on dense time series analysis of phenology, invasive plant species identification, mapping and biodiversity assessment of moist deciduous forests in the Western Himalaya, India. Current research focuses on for the spatial characterization of tree growth by the integration of spatially-continuous variables and to describe the spatial pattern of tree phenology and radial growth across the boreal forest.
- Dec 2018- ongoing: Postdoctoral Fellow in Department of Fundamental Sciences, University of Quebec at Chicoutimi (UQAC), Canada (http://www.uqac.ca/portfolio/sergiorossi/people/ )
- Mar 2017-Nov 2018: Assistant Professor in GIS division (NIIT University, India )
- Jul 2012-Oct 2012: Assistant Professor in Civil Engineering (Marwadi University, India )
Foreign Research Visits
- Oct 2019- Nov 2019: Visiting Postdoc in Department of Agricultural Sciences at University of Naples Federico II, Italy
- Sep 2015- Nov 2015: Visiting Research Scholar in Department of Remote Sensing at University of Wuerzburg, Germany (http://remote-sensing.eu/753/ )
- May 2016- Jun 2016: DAAD ILUS Summer School 2016 Participant in Institute of Silviculture/Chair of Silviculture at University of Freiburg, Germany
- June 2016- Jul 2016: Visiting Research Scholar in Department of Remote Sensing at University of Wuerzburg, Germany
Awards and Honors
- 2019: Young Researcher Best Paper Award at IEEE International Conference on Metrology for Agriculture and Forestry held at University of Naples Federico II, Italy
- 2019: Centre d'étude de la forêt (CEF) travel grant to participate in IEEE international Conference on Metrology for Agriculture and Forestry, October 24 to 26, 2019 in Naple, Italy
- 2018: EGU Roland Schlich travel support (Early Carrier Scientist’s Travel Support) to Present paper in EGU General Assembly 2018, Vienna, Austria
- 2016: German academic scholarship (DAAD) to participate in "Summer School: Integrated Land Use Systems (ILUS)" from May 23 to June 10, 2016 at University of Freiburg Germany
- Jan 2013- May 2017: PhD in Geomatics Engineering (IIT Roorkee, India )
- July 2010- June 2012: M.Tech in Geomatics Engineering (IIT Roorkee, India )
- Jul 2005 – Jun 2009: Bachelors of Engineering (B.E.) from SVITS Indore, India
- Nov 2015 – Dec 2016: Object based approaches for remote sensing assisted assessment of forest biodiversity focusing on invasive plant species
Role: Co-investigator, Funding Agency: DLR/RESA (German Aerospace Agency)
- Feb 2016 – Feb 2017: Object based approaches for remote sensing assisted assessment of forest biodiversity focusing on plant species diversity and forest structural parameters
Role: Co-investigator, Funding Agency: ESA (European Space Agency)
Peer Reviewed Articles
- Khare, S. , Drolet, G., Sylvain, J-D., Paré, M.C., & Rossi, S., 2019. Assessment of Spatio-Temporal Patterns of Black Spruce Bud Phenology across Quebec Based on MODIS-NDVI Time Series and Field Observations. Remote Sensing, 11, 2745.
- Khare, S. , Latifi, H., & Rossi, S., 2019. Forest beta-diversity analysis by remote sensing: How scale and sensors affect the Rao’s Q index. Ecological Indicators, 106, pp.105520.
- Khare, S. , Latifi, H., Rossi, S. and Ghosh, S.K., 2019. Fractional Cover Mapping of Invasive Plant Species by Combining Very High-Resolution Stereo and Multi-Sensor Multispectral Imageries. Forests, 10(7), pp.540.
- Zhang, S., Buttò, V., Khare, S. , Deslauriers, A., Morin, H., Huang, J.-G., Ren, H., Rossi, S., 2019. Calibrating phenocam data with phenological observations in black spruce. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology. (Under Review after first revision)
- Khare, S. , Latifi, H. and Ghosh, S.K., 2018. Multi-scale assessment of invasive plant species diversity using Pléiades 1A, RapidEye and Landsat-8 data. Geocarto international, 33(7), pp.681-698.
- Khare, S. , Ghosh, S.K., Latifi, H., Vijay, S. and Dahms, T., 2017. Seasonal-based analysis of vegetation response to environmental variables in the mountainous forests of Western Himalaya using Landsat 8 data. International Journal of Remote Sensing, 38(15), pp.4418-4442.
- Khare, S. and Ghosh, S.K., 2016. “Satellite Remote Sensing Technologies for Biodiversity Monitoring and Its Conservation”, International Journal of Advanced Earth Science and Engineering, 5(1), pp.375-389.
Peer Reviewed International Conference
- Khare, S. , and Rossi, S., 2019. Phenology analysis of moist deciduous forest using time series Landsat-8 remote sensing data. IEEE International Workshop on Metrology for Agriculture and Forestry (MetroAgriFor), 24-26 Oct. 2019.
- Rossi, S., Zhang, S., Deslauriers, A., Butto, V., Morin, H., Huang, J.-G., Ren, H., and Khare, S. , 2019. Linking phenocam derived phenology with field observations in the boreal forest. IEEE International Workshop on Metrology for Agriculture and Forestry (MetroAgriFor), 24-26 Oct. 2019.
- Fakhri, S. A., Sayadi, S., Latifi, H., Khare, S. , 2019. An optimized Enhanced Vegetation Index for Sparse Tree Cover Mapping across a Mountainous Region. IEEE International Workshop on Metrology for Agriculture and Forestry (MetroAgriFor), 24-26 Oct. 2019.
- Khare, S. , Latifi, H. and Ghosh, S.K., 2018. Full satellite remote sensing based approach to assess the plant and tree species diversity using high and very spatial resolution multi-spectral data. EGU General Assembly 2018(Vienna | Austria | 8–13 April 2018).
- Khare, S. , Latifi, H. and Ghosh, S. K., 2016. “Phenology Analysis of Forest Vegetation to Environmental Variables during-and Post-Monsoon Seasons in Western Himalayan Region of India”. ISPRS-International Archives of the Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing and Spatial Information Sciences, pp.15-19.
Workshops and Lectures
- 2019: Delivered public lecture at Department of Agricultural Science of University of Naples Federico II, Italy
- 2018: Invited as a Guest Speaker for “GIS and remote sensing techniques” at Technical University Denmark (DTU Space) on April 17, 2018
- 2016: Invited as a Resource Person for NRDMS - Department of Science and Technology (DST), Government of India sponsored 21-day (Dec 1st to Dec 21st 2016) Winter School on Geospatial Technologies at Chitkara University Solan, Himachal Pradesh, India
- 2016: Invited as a Resource Person for Advances in Image Processing and Remote Sensing (AIPRS-17) under TEQIP-II sponsored GIS and R course, organized by Deenbadhu Chhotu Ram University of Science and Technology Sonepat Haryana for duration March 6 -10, 2017